Monday, January 02, 2006

Dream: I Have to Tell My Parents They're Dead

I'm living with my parents and brother in an apartment that has about ten rooms and seems to spread out in all directions. It seems to be in Montreal. My mother is sitting at the dining table paring vegetables or something; my father is sitting in a ratty overstuffed armchair reading the paper. They're in their forties or fifties and my brother and I are in late teens. My brother and I are discussing what will happen when we have to tell them they're actually dead. Will they take it as bad news, like you would if you found out you were going to die, will they refuse to believe it, or will they just disappear like a puff of smoke? My brother says that my father will probably just disappear, because he didn't really want to be alive anyway, but my mother's going to take it very hard. We dread telling her.

No comments: